- Property Appraisal
Property Appraisal and the "Quintile Review"
State law requires assessors to physically visit each property within their jurisdiction once every five years. There are approximately 22,000 residential properties in Coon Rapids. During the review period each year, the City appraisers visit and review approximately one fifth of the properties (about 4,400).
City staff will be working in the designated areas (as noted in the 2022 Quintile Review Map) from spring to early fall. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, you may contact the Assessing Department at 763-767-6446.
Quintile Review Map
The 2022 residential quintile review areas are highlighted on the 2022 Quintile Review Map. The Quintile Review is part of the process to determine January 2, 2023 property values. These are the values that will be used to assess property taxes payable in 2024.
City staff will be working in the designated areas between April 2022 and September 2022.
What to expect if your home is in the review area:
- Homeowners will receive a blue postcard in the mail prior to an inspection informing them the appraiser will be in the area.
- City staff may or may not ask to conduct an interior inspection of your home. The decision is based on the information we have on file. If an interior inspection is needed, the staff person will typically be inside your home for 5 to 10 minutes and they will walk around the outside of your home. If an interior inspection is not needed, the staff person will only need to walk around the outside of your home and verify the exterior characteristics.
- City staff review characteristics of the property that affect market value such as age, size, quality of construction, basement finish, etc.
- If you are not home when the staff person visits, a door hanger with instructions will be left at your door. If the instructions indicate an interior inspection is needed, please call the Assessor's office as soon as possible to set up a time for the staff person to come back.
- City staff will be wearing an official City of Coon Rapids identification badge to identify themselves.