A house fire late last week is driving home an important lesson on why you should always sleep with your bedroom door closed.
The fire broke out after lightning struck this home on the 1300 block of 129th Avenue around 6 a.m. July 26. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the roof. Inside the home, you can see how the bedroom is untouched but 20 feet away there's damage.
"The smoke will always find you so if you have the bedroom door closed, it's going to prevent the smoke from coming in easily and it's going to have to come in around the door and you're gonna have extra time," according to Todd Williams, Coon Rapids fire marshal. "But if you leave your bedroom door open, the smoke is going to come in there right away and the heat is going to come in there right away so your chances of surviving it is greatly decreased."
Everyone made it out of the home safely but again it's a reminder to "close before you doze." There should also be a working smoke detector inside and outside of each bedroom.